The Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS) sets standards for the learning, development and care of children from birth to the end of their reception year.
There are seven areas of learning and development within the framework with three being identified as the Prime areas:
- Personal, social and emotional
- Physical development
- Communication and language
The remaining four are known as Specific areas
- Knowledge and understanding
The Characteristics of Learning reflect how each child responds to the teaching and learning which takes place at nursery:
- Playing and exploring - Finding out and exploring, Playing with what they know, Being willing to 'have a go'
- Active learning - Being involved and concentrating, Keeping on trying, Enjoying achieving what they set out to do
- Creating and thinking critically - having their own ideas, Making links, Choosing ways to do things
Your child's learning is recorded through look, listen and notes (short observations) and photos then collated into an All about me book by their keyperson and shared with you on a regular basis.